Monday, January 26, 2009

GETTING PROFICIENT WITH THE FUEL EX

I went out for another ride today at Alafia River Park. I have been trying to get more proficient with the new bike, since I want to feel 100% confident on it by the time I take my trip. Saturday I rode at Boyette, and that was a really nice ride. Boyette is about 15-20 minutes closer than Alafia, and isn't too crowded. There were some awesome trails there- although many of them are VERY SHORT! Too short, in fact.
I rode on quite an awesome trail- a black diamond run called "The Abyss". There is a north section and a south section; I rode both, but couldn't finish the last leg and had to take a bailout to the main path. I was WIPED OUT. I have to say that this trail alone made the trip to Boyette worth it- and then some. Much like a roller coaster ride, the Abyss has some serious downhill and tough uphills. As soon as you clear one hill, get ready for the next drop! Simply incredible!
I feel a lot better on this bike, and the ride at the Abyss definitely made me feel more confident. This bike is definitely a trail bike. It grips in the turns and handles like a sports car in the curves and switchbacks. I have to dial in the rear suspension a bit more (make it a bit firmer), but for the most part it feels real good.
I tackled "Roller Coaster" at Alafia today, which is a single black diamond run. Had to chicken out on a couple drops because of the loose headset, since I didn't want to endo due to equipment failure..lol. But for the most part, Roller Coaster was easy- compared to the Abyss. I think my ability is improving on the trails, and I am feeling a lot more confident tackling harder trails now. My next outing will be back at Boyette to ride the Abyss all the way through, and then over to Alafia to try my hand at Gatorback and some other double black diamond runs.
I had an issue with a loose headset today, but nothing a few turns of an allen wrench couldn't cure.

No comments: