Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 17th:
Well, my fun time in Bryce/Red Canyon is finally over. This was definitely a destination I would not hesitate to return to again. I'd probably stay in the same area next time, since it is a lot cheaper to stay in Panguitch as opposed to anywhere near Bryce like by Ruby's Inn area. The only thing you don't have ANYWHERE nearby (except maybe in Green River) are convenience features and restaurants.
I packed up early and struck out to my next destination, Page, Arizona. Page is the town that is basically the gateway for Lake Powell. I have a campsite set up at Wahweap Campgrounds, which is inside the Glen Canyon/ Lake Powell recreation area, right by the lake itself, and near the major marinas that provide services to the lake visitors in this area.
The drive out to this area is pretty much unremarkable. There are some nice meadows and some canyons that you descend into, but for the most part, Utah 89 is pretty boring and plain.



I arrived into the area in the early afternoon, where I caught my first glimpse of Lake Powell, just outside the town of Big Water, Utah and near the Arizona border. The lake is definitely an oddity- the arid desert in this area is so dusty and plain- then you see sapphire blue water stretching for miles... in the middle of the lake are various buttes and outcroppings of all shapes and sizes, with high cliffs around all sides of the lake, except in the Wahweap area. I can best describe it as Monument Valley filled with water. As you venture further into the lake itself, the scenery changes to more like the Grand Canyon filled with water...as the sheer walls soar hundreds of feet above you on either side.
On this trip, I will not be actually venturing out into the lake- something I wish I had the funds to do. Renting a boat for a mere three days out here can run $500 plus a $500 deposit- I'd need a minimum of a grand to just get the lake transportation. I plan on doing this though, since a three day rental can take me far up into the lake, close to the Escalante River arm, and allow me ample time to explore slot canyons and camp out. I'll be doing this in the next couple years for sure!
I set up my camp and drove around the area, checking out the Greenhaven and Lake Powell view estates homes- since I was entertaining the idea of retiring in this community (more on that later!).
I drove to Horseshoe Bend overlook, which lies just south of Page off US 89. I have seen many pictures of this area, and had always wanted to visit it in person. You take a short ¼ mile hike (seems longer, since the soft beach-like sand on the trail makes for slow going).
At the end of the trail, you get to see an amazing sight- a gooseneck bend in the Colorado River as it ventures on its way down to the Grand Canyon-if you saw the movie “Jumper”, with Samuel Jackson, you have seen this place- at the end of the film when Jackson gets stranded, he is in a cave that is located on the outcropped rock cliff that is the gooseneck itself. Sorry, there's no cave over there!
I took some nice pictures out at the overlook and stood as close as I dared by the edge. You have no idea how far down it goes, until you see some boats moving up the river down there...they are barely visible!!





I headed back to camp, lit a fire and enjoyed the sunset. I later extinguished the fire and looked at the stars- absolutely amazing! The area near Lake Powell is considered a “dark sky” community, meaning they prohibit lit signs and streetlights so you can truly enjoy the night sky. You can actually see the bands of stars that comprises the Milky Way as you look closely- something you never see out in Florida.




No comments: