Thursday, May 21, 2009

PAGE-LAKE POWELL BEACH DAY!



May 19th:
Beach Day!! Wait a minute you say...beach? In the middle of the desert?? Hell yeah. At the far west side of the lake, and only about 8 minutes from my campsite, is Lone Rock beach. You go down some sand dunes and emerge on a rocky and sandy expanse of beach that is one of the only beaches in the area you can access without a boat. The rest of the areas on Lake Powell are surrounded by high cliffs, which make it impossible to access the water below them unless you are an experienced rock climber.
The day was slightly overcast, and the wind the night before was brutal. But it cleared up nicely, and I got in a good swim in the cool lake water and got some much needed sun- the farmer's tan I was sporting was not cutting it anymore.
This was to be my last day at Lake Powell, so I celebrated by trying out some of the local cuisine- at a place that was highly recommended by the locals. Supposedly it was authentic mexican cuisine at a place called Fiesta Mexicana. The food was average, the salsa was good, and the Dos Equis was refreshing. I honestly have had better authentic mexican food in Florida.
I have to say that my visit to Page has left me wondering if I really do want to retire out here. It was dry and dusty, and the only thing that really holds any charm in this area is the lake itself. Without a houseboat or a boat and jetskis, Page offers up very little. There is no entertainment to speak of, no movie theaters, mo malls, no Verizon Wireless centers (ha!). The housing is odd as well- there are some beautiful homes with incredible lake views, but around the area are some mobile homes and cheap looking homes. I have 15 years to retirement, and a lot can change, but I don't see this area expanding any more than it is now.
I went for a sunset bike ride down by the State Line boat launch for one last look at the lake. I WILL be back in a year or so to take a boating trip out here.
A cloudy night, and again no stars to see. I turned in early.








No comments: