Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Aha! Found my old tracks...


I have been toying with my handheld Garmin ETrex, and thought a while back that I lost all my mountain bike trip trail data, when lo and behold I found some of the maps still on the handheld!! So here are some of them, just the best rides out of the bunch.
The above map is from Mary's Loop in Fruita, Colorado.
The below image is from Amasa Back in Moab, the brutal all-day ride I did and got lost on (d'oh!). You can see the "Y" at the top portion where I veered off to the right on Pothole Arch trail, going quite a bit out of my way before backtracking and taking the proper trail to the left that led to Amasa Back proper. This was done with the Mapsource software that came with the GPS that allows me to pull the route up on Google Earth. Pretty sweet!
I took a weekend ride at a trail near me, just to see what it was like. Below is the map of the area as seen from GE. It's off SR52 and Hays Rd. in Hudson, FL. I heard that there was a MTB friendly trail out there, but it was anything but. It's primarily equestrian trail, and the dirt is loose and unpacked- it's quite a brutal sugar-sand ride for MTB'ers...not reccomended at all. Did about 10 miles, but it felt like 20. No singletrack and nothing worthwile for scenery- Morris Bridge/ Flatwoods is way better. I won't be going back there.

No comments: