Saturday, August 22, 2009

Withlacoochee Forest MTB Ride

Today I went to check out another local trail I have been meaning to check out for a while. The Croom section of the Withlacoochee Forest is in Brooksville, which is a quick hour's drive away for me. The spot is accessed off Croom-Rital road, which is on the other side of I-75 from the popular Croom ATV riding area. A 6 mile drive up a partly paved/partly dirt road ends at a ranger station and a nice parking area.

The trailhead at this location spurs off into various directions and allows for many riding possibilities. You could ride a 30 mile loops if you wanted to. Today, I just chose to do one of the popular "yellow" trail loops. I didn't want to get too crazy, since it was HOT as hell outside.
A strange thing for Florida, there were actually some uphill and downhill sections here! They weren't too lengthy, but they were fun nevertheless. There was some sugar sand also, which made for some slow going at times, but it definitely added to the cardio workout. According to the GPS, I pulled off about 8.5 miles, but as you can see from the below track, there were some areas where the sat reception disappeared, leaving gaps in my track. I figure I did about 10 miles easy this day.

All in all, I give this trail section a thumbs up; I'll be going back again. I plan on hitting the blue and red sections next time. Gotta get in some more training before 9/11 for the Georgia/ NC trip!

No comments: