Monday, September 7, 2009

2010 Vacation Plans

Well, I know it's early and I just got back from my big trip a few months ago, but I think being prepared is better than throwing something together at the last minute, so here we go!
I have been kicking around getting a kayak for almost a year now, and I am still on the kick. Additionally, I missed out on getting out onto Lake Powell my last trip, which kind of frustrated me. So, what I am planning on doing is a 3-5 day kayaking trip on Lake Powell probably around May or June 2010.
The logistics of this trip are going to be a little rougher than your typical camping trip, since I won't have any support boat- I will need to kayak in my gear and food MYSELF. I still am not sure how feasible this trip is at the moment. I plan on leaving from Antelope Point marina as opposed to Wahweap, or maybe even Bullfrog. I want to be further into the lake since I will have to paddle to some of the primo camping spots. Starting at Wahweap will put me pretty far from some of the more quiet slot canyons; I want to get away from the main population exploring the lake.
I'll be camping right at the shoreline each night, which also poses an issue- since Lake Powell is a reservoir, they have certain regulations concerning human waste. They actually require a receptacle of some sort. I have to do a lot more research before I give this a shot!
I will either be doing this trip or another biking trip out west. If I go the biking route, I will be spending more time in Sedona this time around.
Stay tuned for additional details!

No comments: