Friday, October 9, 2009

KHS XCT555 BUILD (PART ONE)


Since I have been very involved in mountain biking for over a year now, I made a decision that I was going to build my own mountain bike.
I purchased my first full suspension bike in January of this year, the Trek Fuel EX6. It has given me some minor issues, but for the most part the frame has held up. The Fuel was purchased #1 because it was inexpensive ($800 because it was a 2 year old model) and because it was FS. I wanted another full suspension (FS) bike, one that has more rear travel and was slightly lighter. The Fuel's frame alone weighs in at roughly 8.5 pounds, which puts in in a moderately heavy category. I did some hunting for the past months, and I managed to find a frame that received good reviews, and looked a lot nicer than the Trek...quite frankly, the red color of the Trek is a little outdated- I like my bikes to be black or silver.
The KHS XCT555 frame weighs in at 7 pounds, shaving off some minor weight. It also has 5.5 inches of rear travel, opposed to the Trek's 4.0". The full bike has been tested and reviewed in Mountain Bike Action magazine, and a fully equipped KHS runs around $1600. It has been given very positive reviews.
So, the frame is on order, and is on its way to me. I'll be posting the build as I progress. Keep in mind, I have never done anything like this before, so this is going to be a new experience for me. I have decided to cannibalize the parts from the Fuel and swap them onto the KHS to keep the cost minimal. I am assuming that all the parts are interchangeable... if they are not, I will be selling this frame on EBay rather quickly. I may have to buy a new seatpost, but we shall see once the bike arrives. Thanks to Trek, I have a lot of upgraded parts on the bike (Rock Shox SID fork, Shimano Deore cranks) that will work outstanding on the KHS. I forsee the most difficult part being the chain and crank removal/installation, but I have most of the tools needed for that job.
Stay tuned!

No comments: