Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Test ride-moderate success...

So the other day I hit the local Wilderness Park Trail in North Tampa with the new ride. I immediately noticed how incredible this FSR suspension is...wow! The bike soaked up some bumps without any issues, and rode amazing. I can best describe it the way I read in another internet blog: " picture any other suspension like a Hyundai- the FSR suspension is like a Cadillac". I noted that it's better to stay in the seat on this bike, as opposed to the Trek, where I needed to be off the seat to help the bumps soak up.
So, after about 15 minutes of riding, the left crankarm falls off. Fortunately, I brought my allen wrench keys with me, and I promptly re-fastened it. I continued on without a hitch down an entire trail, when BAM, it falls off again. Not good. Something is definitely wrong here. I noticed that it appeared as if there was not enough space on the through-tube of the right arm to fasten the left one...I started thinking that I had the wrong size bottom bracket on the bike. This issue happened 5 more times until I finally limped the bike (as the sun had already set) to the parking lot.
Sure enough, when I got home I measured the BB width of the Trek- 68mm. The KHS was 73mm... oops. And, I left the spacers in when I installed the BB on the KHS...so, I removed the spacer on the non-driveline side and-viola... it looked like it was fixed.
To be on the safe side, I have ordered a Race Face Ride X crankset and BB from Jenson USA. It appears as if the splines on my Shimano have been toasted. I am not sure what effect this will have on my riding, but I will soon find out. At least I know that my BB shell is a larger size. Oh well, you live and you learn...

No comments: