Friday, January 22, 2010

KNEE ISSUES...

Years back, I tore my ACL and partially tore my MCL and had a meniscus tear after playing hockey. I had surgery on it, where they stitched down my meniscus and replaced my ACL with a portion of my hamstring tendon. Every once in a while, my right knee gets aggravated- either due to it being in cold water, or when I really beat on it.
As part of my job, I am required to pass a physical agility test every year. This test consists of as many pushups as you can do in a minute, as many situps in a minute, a vertical leap, a 300m sprint, and a mile and a half run. I don't run on a regular basis, primarily due to my knee. When I do run, I usually do it on a treadmill and keep it to right around a mile and a half.
So I went out and busted my ass on this test the other week. I pulled off a 49 second sprint, a 24" vertical leap, 60 situps and 30 pushups (I could have done more pushups, but I only needed to get 28, so I conserved my energy), and a 12:50 in the mile and a half.
The next day, my right calf and hamstring were killing me. Over the past week, my right knee has been popping and feeling as if it is swollen...kind of like there's fluid on it. There's no pain, mind you, just discomfort. I am hoping I didn't damage anything in there, but nonetheless I am staying off it for a while- that means no running anymore for a while. Although I think biking may aggravate it, I feel that is much less traumatic than slamming into a paved road repeatedly. Getting old sucks.

No comments: