Saturday, February 13, 2010

GOOGLE LATITUDE

So I added Google Maps with Google Latitude to my Blackberry the other day. What this program does, is shares your GPS location with other friends or through the application itself. The application itself is on iGoogle (which can be on your desktop) or via HTML code through your webpage or (in my case) blog. You can see the map with Latitude on the right corner of this page.
Essentially this program allows you to share your current location with friends who add latitude on their phones, so you can see them on a street level map view...kinda like an electronic stalking device. Although I don't really care too much to use it for that purpose, because I really could care less about keeping tabs on people- it's still an OK app for providing information to people about your adventures.
When I head out in June, I plan on tracking my travels through this blog, so until then I am just experimenting with it. Once in a while you will see my location change on the map, depending on what I am doing. Most of the time I have it set to my rough home location. It's not too bad of an app, but I don't see it being used to its fullest because not too many people know about it. Furthermore, you have to either be using Google Maps in order for it to get a fix, or you need to enable sharing (which drains your battery I am assuming). I think it's more appropriate for traveling and showing people where you are/where you've been to help log things. I'll post up more info later on as I mess with the program.

No comments: