Monday, March 8, 2010

CARTER RD. PARK RIDE AND REVIEW!

So the other day I finally made it to Loyce Harper Park (aka Carter Rd. MTB park) in Lakeland, Florida.  I have been wanting to check out this park for a year, and I finally managed to get in a good ride. I have to say I read many reviews of this park, and was hesitant on riding it due to some of the negative reviews. I have to say all the negative reviews are unwarranted.
The park is off Carter Rd., a short jaunt off the Polk Parkway tollway. The mountain bike trailhead is at teh end of a paved road that is actually in a full-on park: baseball, football and night lit fields. Very nice!
The trails are all very well marked, with wood signs placed on the trees. I had no issues navigating through the main area. The cool thing about this place are all the features placed along the trails. You will be riding along a relatively tame singletrack, when you will come across a wooden bridge or a wooden jump bridge. You have the option to ride the feature, or take the tamer route next to it. Very nice!
Many of the trails are quite hairy- and I mean HAIRY. There are thin singletracks along spines of this old quarry, that drop down 50 feet into the water below- in some areas, SHEER drops. You can get VERY HURT if you make a mistake along some of these trails- make no mistake!
There are some incredible climbs, and some adrenalin-pumping drops. All in all, this place has something for everyone. I was not disappointed. The trails are maintained by Ridgeriders in Lakeland, and they do a good job keeping this trail in good condition.
There is even a bike wash in the parking lot. Very sweet.
I took a little spill though on one of the features. There is a skinny along the back part of the trail that guides you over a muddy portion of the trail. Part of the plank was broken, which made for very unsure footing when you are off a few inches to the right. I endo-ed off the bike and raked my left leg along the broken part of the wood when I slipped off the side of the plank and into the mud, then stuffed my front tire onto a small wood beam.
 

Eh. Not too bad. Stings a bit though! I would have rather had it deeper than skinned the way it was! LOL

No comments: