Thursday, July 8, 2010

DAY 13....THE ROAD HOME

Parting is such sweet sorrow. We bailed out of Moab very early, knowing we had quite a full day of driving ahead of us. I plotted out a route that took us through Monument Valley and cut through nothing but Navajo Indian land to get us into Amarillo. The scenery was actually pretty nice until we passed Monument Valley...then the roads and the vistas gave way to what you would expect traveling through the hind end of Arizona and New Mexico.
As we entered Monument Valley, I stopped in the middle of the road to snap this shot...just at a random pull-off area. Charmaine told me about a sign on the side of the road I would have never noticed.
We were in the same spot that the film ended Gump's cross country run...no wonder it looked familiar to me! I must have seen that movie about 20 times.
The rest of the ride to Amarillo was uneventful, aside from some nice skies and some shenanigans, it was all good.
We hit Amarillo at a reasonable hour, grabbed some Subway for dinner, Charmaine forced me to take the corny pic above (my beer goggles), and we settled in for the night. Back into the south tomorrow and the next day, back home.

No comments: