Thursday, September 30, 2010

SWAGMAN BIKE RACK REVIEW

After using the Swagman on a couple outings, I can say it is a very good rack for the money. There are a few minor issues with it that would be expected when you buy an inexpensive non-brand name rack.
1) the bike does not work with a standard 2 inch receiver hitch lock pin. You have to use the bolt/cotter pin setup provided with the Swag. I am either taking the rack off and putting it in my truck, or I use a cable lock threaded through the wheel rings and my chain connection points on the hitch. A little inconvenient, but not too bad.
2) when loading up two bikes, you have to make sure you use the proper sized clamp on the proper side. One clamp sits lower than the other to accomodate similar sized bikes on one rack. It takes a few minutes to get right, but again its not a big deal.
Overall, I give the rack a thumbs up. It is sturdy, does the job, and it is compact enough to store anywhere when not in use. We will see how it fairs long term.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.0

No comments: