Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mountain Bike Trip Planner

I have been planning this trip for close to a year, and today I blocked off my vacation time so I could make it happen. I have been going through a rough divorce, which still isn't done yet. I need something to keep my mind off the crap I have been dealing with. Although this trip is five months away, I can't wait and think about it every day.
After separating from my wife of 15 years, I took up a new hobby to help clear my mind: mountain biking. I live in Florida, and although the location and activity are oxymorons, there are still some pretty decent places to ride in the area. I have taken a liking to two places in particular that have "man made" mountains: Alafia River State Park MTB Park, and Santos (in Ocala) MTB Park. I have been "training" at these two spots since April 2008. I also do a lot of road riding at various trails in my area.
I originally came to Florida from California, and I always loved the outdoors. I did a lot of camping and exploring in my younger days, and I sorely miss the mountains living in flat Florida.
So I have decided to plan an "epic" mountain bike journey (epic by my stanadards...at 41 pretty much anything I can do that lasts around 2 weeks is epic).
Rough planning stages has me hitting some awesome riding spots in Grand Junction/ Fruita Colorado, Moab, Utah, and Flagstaff, Az. I am also shooting for some riding around the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee at the tail end of the trip.
I am doing this on a shoestring budget- since my pending divorce has me in dire straits with income. I had to move out of my house since it was in foreclosure, and am renting with a roommate. I also anticipate child support to be starting in January. Sooo...I am going to forego the nice hotels and bought a tent for the bed of my pickup, a sleeping bag, and a whole load of camping accessories that will make things easier.
The start of my trip will be Tampa, Florida. The halfway terminus will be Page, Az. I plan on doing some kayaking at Lake Powell for a couple days.

No comments: