Sunday, January 18, 2009

DAYTONA MOTOSURF 09



Well, just got back home from Daytona Beach and the Daytona Beach 09 Motosurf/Freeride. This is an annual event held in Ormond Beach, Florida. Hundreds of jetskiier from all over the states (and some even from other countries) have attended this get together to make it the largest freestyle jet ski extravaganza in North America. There are famous riders out there like Michael Ratti, Ross Champion, and Pancake Pete Scheidt. This year was no different; but it was COLD!! When I arrived Saturday, the air temp was easily 52 or 53, with a very gusty wind that easily brought the temps into the 40's with the wind chill. I decided to brave it, as did about 30 others, and I suited up with neoprene. The water temp was hovering around 72 or 74, so it was actually warner in the water than out. After about an hour, I had enough. The winds made the surf blown out and choppy, making for quite a difficult ride- for young and old alike! If you have ever been in the ocean during a storm and tried to ski in same, you know what a workout this is. I pulled off a couple jumps and nose stabs, and rode back in to warm up. Getting out of the gear was agonizing since it was so damn cold.
Sunday was a lot nicer. The temp was 68 by the time I started riding, and about 70 by the time I packed it up. Got in a good amount of riding, tried to pull a barrel roll, but only succeeded in pulling off an inverted nose stab (pretty cool actually, but I almost ate the handlepole!).
There were a lot of outstanding riders as usual, and I snapped off a ton of pics of some guys pulling off some sick moves. The Canon worked great!
So all in all, it was a succesful weekend. No injuries, no jetski failure, and some decent waves.

No comments: