Sunday, October 18, 2009

BIKE BUILD PART 3

It finally arrived!! Bob's Bicycles finally got the frame to me- actually, I am a pretty impatient bastard and it only took a week to get out here from the day I ordered it. They were pretty quick on the shipping. The frame is very lightweight. I took it out of the box and checked it out- it appeared to have some minor differences in cable routing when compared to the Trek (which would prove to be an issue later- more on that to come).
The XCT 555 comes with a Rock Shox Monarch 2.1 shock. The shock has a external rebound adjustment, but no gate adjustment like I have on the 3.1. I decided to leave this shock on until I get a chance to test it. If it doesn't perform the way I want, I may swap out the shock from my Fuel as well. I like the fact this Monarch has a sag setting guide on the side of the shock- this makes it easy to determine sag and properly set the shock.

The bike uses the four-bar Horst link suspension, which is nicknamed "FSR" by Specialized. This suspension is supposed to be amazing at reducing pedal bob and suspension flex. This bike has 5.5 inches of rear wheel travel- plenty for the type of riding I do.
This frame looks like it is put together real well. The welds appear strong, and the bike looks like it's going to be real sweet once I get it together.

No comments: