Sunday, October 18, 2009

BUILD-Almost done!

Well, here's my Fuel after most of the major parts have been removed. the seatpost is the same size on teh Trek as on the KHS, so tat easily slid into it's place. I started by putting the rear derailleur hanger on the KHS, mounting the rear derailleur, and taking all the levers and disc brake assemblies off the Trek. I then tried to figure out how to place all the cables-and realized I was screwed. The cable routing guides on the KHS are completely different than the Trek. After a lot of cutting and messing around, I decided to skip this step until I could get some more information. There was a cable guide that was on the Trek that bolted to the bottom bracket and routed the front derailleur cable to it's spot- that bolt wouldn't fit the KHS, and it sure didn't look right even when I test-fitted it. Crap. Oh well. I went on to the other parts- front fork and stem/bars were next.
I took the original Bontrager Race components off my 4300 Hardtail- the bar and stem. These things were originally on the Fuel, but I didn't like how the bars forced me to hunch over too much, so I swapped them with the Bontrager Select equipment on my hardtail. I noticed after replacing my fork on the Fuel with the SUPER lightweight SID fork, that there was hardly any front wheel weight-very rough on climbing, since the front end lifts up when you go up hills and hit obstacles. Furthermore, the front wheel tends to wash out more on turns unless you lean way over the bars and put weight on it. So this swap should improve handling for the type of riding I do with this bike. Plus, the "Race" bars and stem is a lot more beefy than the Select equipment.
Forks on! If you recall the SID forks when they were on my Fuel, you'd remember they were red- well, thanks to Rock Shox thinking ahead, they provided multi-colored decal sets with the fork- so I decided to put silver decals on to match the bike's motif. Looks pretty OEM, if you ask me!
Almost done. I am putting the clipless Shimano SPD's on the cranks, and you can see all the zipties poking out where I temporarily attached the cables to the frame. This bike has a couple inch longer wheelbase compared to the Trek, which makes it ideal for downhill runs. Bike looks kick ass.
Due to all the issues I had with the cables, I decided to take the bike to a local shop to have them set it up properly. I dropped it off today, and plan on getting it back tomorrow. If all goes right, I will be doing a test run with it tomorrow.

No comments: