Monday, September 13, 2010

HUB OVERHAUL

After my ride at Boyette the other day, I decided to overhaul the front hub on my bike. The thing was making some nasty noises...so much so I was afraid it would seize up or my wheel would fall off!
Furthermore, my tire was flat when I checked it out today..something was definitely amiss.
So I pulled the hub apart, and carefully removed the bearings. There was a lot of brown gunk inside, and a lot of water. All those bike washings were not helping!


I inspected the bearings, which seemed to be in ok shape.


I cleaned all the parts with brake cleaner, and made sure the races on the hubs were good. There was a little wear, mainly because of the lack of lubrication.


I regreased the whole thing, slapped the original bearings back in (I am getting ceramics next time), and tightened it up. A new tube later, and I am proud to say it rides and sounds like new. The rear wheel is next...I hear some grinding back there, so I know it needs some greasing up. I love being able to fix something myself without shelling out money all the time to someone else!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9

No comments: