Monday, September 13, 2010

NEW SWAGMAN 2 BIKE RACK

So for the longest time I have been needing a bike rack that was hitch mounted. I borrowed one from my buddy for my latest vacation, but borrowing shit gets bothersome after a while, and you need to be self-sufficient. I needed to free up bed space when I hauled my bikes, especially now with the new tonneau. Problem is, I hate the standard hitch bike carriers where the bikes float free, and the wheels spin. Other problem? The wheel based carriers are expensive as hell, averaging 300 bucks! After a month of searching, I found the Swagman on Amazon for a stellar 135 bucks, shipped! What a deal...but how would it hold up??
After assembling it today, I can say I am truly impressed. Although not as versatile as the 300 dollar racks, this thing is tough, sturdy, and holds the bikes like a champ!


It took only about 5 minutes to put together, and holds the bikes securely and has added potential for locks and cables to add further security.


I am not going to be able to test it until later this week; I will post up a full review then. The only thing that makes me nervous is the 2 inch receiver section isnt set up for a locking hitch pin...you have to use Swagmans threaded bolt and cotter pin setup..the hole is threaded, so you cannot fit a standard lock pin in there. Hmmm... well, I can always cable lock it to my hitch, so that is an option.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9

No comments: