Saturday, April 18, 2009

EPIC RIDE '09- MOAB TO RED CANYON

This day's drive will take me out of Moab, through the town of Escalante, and then to the area of Bryce/ Red Canyon. I am planning on traveling scenic byway 12 as opposed to the interstate, for more of a scenic drive. This drive should take me about 5 hours total, maybe a bit more, but should be well worth it.
The next day, I am going to be riding "Thunder Mountain" in Red Canyon. I only recently heard of this spot through a friend of mine, who told me that it was one of the best rides he took while on his own epic trip a year or so ago. After doing some of my own research, I figured this ride was well worth a little side trip.
The Red Canyon area is in the same area as Bryce Canyon, which is quite a geological marvel in and of itself. Some of the pictures I have seen of Red Canyon make this ride look like a martian planet ride...red, spires and columns of sandstone, and red dirt.
I plan on tackling this ride the next day, since I want to rest up and check out some of the sights around here and Bryce as well.
I plan on riding this trail two times- once for pure scenery, and the second for a real banzai run. I plan on using the Go Pro Helmet cam for the second run, so hopefully you'll see some cool stuff posted on the 'ol YouTube account. I will be departing this area sometime in the early afternoon en route to Lake Powell and Page, AZ...stay tuned!

No comments: