Thursday, April 16, 2009

EPIC RIDE 09...FRUITA TO MOAB

I plan on getting up sorta early to take in some last rides around Fruita this day. I also want to hit some of the local bike shops to gather some memorabilia from this part of my ride, which I plan on doing in each location.
WESTERN RIM TRAIL:
This trail has arguably the best scenery and rim riding in the area. The trail is still used by motorcycles, but not that much (and not nearly as much as RV#2). Not very technical, but it has it's spot. This trail eventually hooks up with the Kokopelli Trail that returns one bench above and returns to RV #2 below the flat area.

I'm then departing after this ride to drive to Moab, which is no more than 2 hours away from here. I want to stop off at a local bike shop to pick up some trail maps, since I don't want to shortchange myself AT ALL in this awesome spot. The sheer amount of riding areas here is staggering. I had a hard time choosing from some of them, but after careful deliberation, I found several that I absolutely MUST DO.

GEMINI BRIDGES TRAIL:
This is a good warmup trail, since I have already ridden a bit this morning in Fruita.
It's a pretty long trail, and I won't be having a shuttle, so I don't know how far I will be able to take this trail up before needing to turn back. This is one of the rides I want to talk to the locals about before undertaking, since I don't want to start riding and not get to any of the sweet scenery before having to turn around.

SLICKROCK:
Out of all the trails I have heard about, Slickrock has got to be the one most talked about. This
ride is world reknowned, and is a very tough yet interesting ride. I plan on taking this on the 2nd day I am in Moab, since I need some good rest before trying this one out. Should be brutal!



If I can muster it, if I am not too wasted, I want to check out PORCUPINE RIM.

I've heard a lot about this trail as well, so we shall see if I can handle it, especially after being brutalized on Slickrock the day prior. I also plan on hiking around Arches NP at some time during my stay, and taking some pictures at sundown of this awesome place. From here, it's off to Bryce Canyon/ Red Canyon, about a 5 hour drive from this location since I want to take Scenic Byway UT12 via Escalante to get there.

No comments: